Here are nine truths about the end times that Jesus described to us in Matthew 24:9-14. These truths have been evident in every generation since Jesus walked the earth, and they will increase as the last days draw near. In one sense, since the time of Jesus we have continually been in the last days.
Hear Jesus’ words for yourself:
9 “Then they will hand you over for persecution, and they will kill you. You will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 Then many will take offense, betray one another and hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 Because lawlessness will multiply, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be delivered. 14 This good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed in all the world as a testimony to all nations. And then the end will come.
- In the last days, Jesus’ followers will be hated (v9).
- In the last days, Jesus’ followers will be persecuted (v9).
- In the last days, Jesus’ followers will be martyred (v9).
- In the last days, people will turn their backs on Jesus (v10).
- In the last days, false prophets will deceive many (v11).
- In the last days, lawlessness will multiply (v12).
- In the last days, the love of many will grow cold (v12).
- In the last days, those who endure to the end will be saved (v13).
- In the last days, the gospel will be proclaimed to all the nations (v14).
Look back over the list and decide for yourself: are we living in the last days? I believe the answer is absolutely YES.
Therefore as followers of Jesus we should not disheartened, because Jesus told us these things would take place. Rather, we are encouraged to continue trusting in Jesus, following in His way, and sharing the gospel with others so that they can trust in Jesus as the Lord and Savior of their lives.
We must endure whatever persecution may come our way for the sake of Christ that we might be the witnesses that He calls us to be.
Look one more time at Matthew 24:14. This verse is both a promise and a mandate for missions, to get the gospel to people groups all over the world: “This good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed in all the world as a testimony to all nations. And then the end will come.”