Pastor Kevin Miller has been preaching a sermon series called Help! I’m a Parent! in November at Hebron Church. He has been encouraging parents to equip their children with spiritual tools in their “tool belt.” On November 27, he shared a message from Ephesians 5:15-17 entitled The Tool of Wisdom.
Ephesians 5:15-17 (HCSB)
15 Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk—not as unwise people but as wise— 16 making the most of the time, because the days are evil. 17 So don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
Here are some of the nuggets of wisdom from that message, some quotes worth remembering:
- “Are your habits something your kids will have to overcome, or something they will be inspired by?”
- “A good question to ask about every situation: Is this a wise thing for me to do?”
- “Pay careful attention to how you walk.”
- “Wise people examine themselves and make adjustments in line with God’s Word.”
- “People don’t plan to make bad choices; the problem is that they don’t have a plan for making wise choices.”
- “Direction – not intention – determines your destination” (quoting Andy Stanley)
- “We are all one decision away from doing irreversible damage to ourselves and others; we must build systems into our lives to protect ourselves and to be accountable”
- “Wise people are sensitive to and make the most of the opportunities around them.”
- “Don’t be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.”
- “Be obedient to God’s will, one step at a time.”