To do anything well, you and your tools need to be sharp.
Listen to the words of Ecclesiastes 10:10 —
Using a dull ax requires great strength,
so sharpen the blade.
That’s the value of wisdom;
it helps you succeed.
Now, you could do the work with a dull ax to show off your brute strength. But, you will be less productive, you will wear yourself out, and you will ultimately break your tool. As the saying goes, “Work smarter, not harder.”
Reflect on these questions to live life with maximum effectiveness:
– What are some reasons that people don’t sharpen their skills or tools? (Too busy? Costs too much? Takes too much effort? Peer pressure to cut corners? Other reasons?)
– How do keep yourself sharp for peak performance in your job or sport?
– How do you make sure you are at your best in each of these areas: physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually?
– What does Ecclesiastes 10:10 say to us about taking care of the resources that God has entrusted to us?
– How will you implement the truths of Ecclesiastes into your life this week?
Sharpen your ax! Do your best. All for God’s glory.